Friday, March 19, 2010

Art Journaling

Several posts ago (wow, has it been that long?!), I was talking about exploring the world of art journaling and promised some photos of my progress. Alas, I either keep forgetting to photograph my work or am too chicken to post it. I think it's some combination of the two!

One of my blogger friends has been posting about her dive headfirst into the world of art journaling and has now shown me for the coward that I am by showing pictures of her work. So...here goes. Forgive the smudged out text, but I'm not THAT brave! :D
I used complementary colors in blue and orange for this spread. One of my biggest revelations (and challenges) was to NOT think too much about the layout. I tend to analyze things to death, so it was really stretching me to just grab pictures and paste them onto the page without thinking.


This one worked so well...the little short guy and the clothing tag. Such irony!
I wrote in different colors of ink to emphasize certain words and to give the page some visual interest since there was so much text. I used Paint Pens by Sharpie for this page and I really like them. The extra fine point worked great for journaling.

I'm still in the process of discovering my own unique style so it's quite possible successive art journal posts will look different than these. I was influenced mainly by Teesha Moore's magazine collage style, though she takes her work to a level far beyond where I am at this point! After I get all my pages completed I will bind them together into a book. I'll show you when I'm finished (no promises as to when that will occur!).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Those are so beautiful!!! You're great artist!!!

storybeader said...

what a great idea, to work on the pages, and then bind them together! I'm sure the book will look different from the individual pages. I like the GROW page! {:-D

Anitra Cameron said...

I LOVE your pages! They are absolutely beautiful, and provocative, and funny, too. They'll be a treasure for always.

TiLT said...

Those look awesome! I am glad to got yourself up to posting them :)

Emerson Bindery said...

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement! It's a little scary putting your personal art out there for everyone to see!

Unknown said...

These are beautiful! The images make me want to read your thoughts, but I know they are private.

roseworksjewelry said...

I think it's incredible what your coming up with :)

Erika said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I was so enthralled by the pages that I have spent the last 30 minutes reading T. Moore's site. I now want to try this form of journaling. Thanks again!

Emerson Bindery said...

You guys are too wonderful! I can hardly imagine that *I* have inspired *you*! Such an honor!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...