Sunday, October 17, 2010

Product Review: Making Memories Precision Paper Trimmer

The product under review today is the "Precision Paper Trimmer, 12x12" by Making Memories. It is a rotary cutter and claims to be self sharpening.

I go through paper trimmers like some people go through...well, I can't think of anything. Point: I wear out paper trimmers!

I bought this at Michaels using my 40% off coupon. The original price was $49.99 USD.

I actually had the opportunity to try out two of these. The first one I bought had been used and paper was jammed up inside the entire length of the track where the blade runs, hindering the movement of the rotary blade. I returned it and got a new one.

The new one started acting up almost immediately. It made a few good cuts (I cut about 8 pieces of paper).

The next time I used it, the trimmer mangled my 80# text paper so, thinking perhaps the paper was too thin for it (which is silly because 80# paper is about 3 times the weight of regular office paper) I tried cutting two sheets at a time. It mangled both sheets.

I tried cutting card stock. It got grease on my paper and also mangled the card stock. It seemed as if the blade was dull. The paper started getting caught in the track...just like the one I returned. Hmmm, perhaps that's why the previous customer returned it!

The only thing I liked about this trimmer is the magnetic ruler that comes with it. The ruler is extremely stable and stays where you put it. A few times I didn't think I was going to get the ruler off!

My rating of this product is a huge thumbs down! I wouldn't buy this product at any price because it did not cut paper in an acceptable manner for me.

2 comments:

gm glimmerglass said...

I am a firm believer in Carl Cutters, available at Staples. They have a metal base and so don't "twinge" so they stay straight.

There is a replaceable rubber edge that you can flip around four different ways to get the most out of it. They are not expensive and the supplies are not, plus they have been on the shelves for years and you can always get the parts.

The blades come in four different cutting edges and there is a scorer.

I have three of these and teach kids so they get a lot of wear and tear. They are also safe for kids.

So if you are looking for a good cutter go to Staples. You can search Staples coupons online, before you go - and get an even better deal.

Happy Slicing!

Emerson Bindery said...

Oooh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to check out that product. And the safety is a plus, as I have a little one who always wants to "help" around the studio!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...